Welcome to the K-pop dance contest at WinterCon VIII!
In this competition pre-registered dancers and dance teams will compete with performances they have prepared at home.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 17.12.2023 23:59.
We accept dances choreographed by Korean artists/choreographers. Your performance must be a K-pop or any other Asian based dance, and if the music is not K-pop – make sure to note it in the application form.
To apply for the WinterCon VIII K-Pop Dance contest, please fill out this online application form. By submitting the application, you agree to the WinterCon VIII K-Pop Contest rules and event general rules.
Contest participants are eligible for a discounted ticket - 15 EUR (can be purchased only at the event entrance).
You don't need to buy a ticket online; all registered dancers are subject to a discounted ticket which is available only at event entrance. Regular tickets are not applicable for stage performance.
Stage size 14 x 6 m.
Don’t forget to have fun!
Participants will compete in the following categories:
SOLO – 1 performer. MAX performance length = 1 minute.
DUO – 2 performers. MAX performance length = 2 minutes.
GROUP – 3-18 performers. MAX performance length = 3 minutes.
- We accept dances choreographed by Korean artists/choreographers. Your performance must be a K-pop or any other Asian based dance, and if the music is not K-pop – make sure to note it in the application form.
- The number of accepted performances is not predetermined and may differ between events.
- There are no age restrictions.
- The maximum allowed number of people on stage at any given moment is 18.
- Contest participants are eligible for a discounted ticket (can be purchased on the door).
Performances are judged in 5 different criteria:
Showmanship – musicality, audibility and clarity, stage presence and etiquette.
Technique – execution, synchronization and precision, energy, and projection.
Choreography – movement patterns, formation and transition, appropriateness of movement.
Emotion – emphasis, facial expression, artistic quality.
Presentation – costume, props and uses, concept and its thematic interpretation.
To successfully apply for the K-pop Dance Contest you must do the following:
- Fill in the online form here.
Please provide us with your ACTIVE email address in the application form and make sure there are no typos in it. We might need to ask you some questions or request a change of files, so you must check your email regularly to make sure everything stays in order! Remember that communication is the key to success :)
One participant is only eligible to perform a maximum of 2 times (example: 1 solo performance and 1 group performance). Please do not apply with different stage names to bypass this rule in any of the categories.
- Add a link to your music file – ONLY in the .mp3 format. (No wav, m4a, wma, ogg or other format!). You can use this (or any other similar software) simple online .mp3 converter if you don’t know how to convert your music: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3
- Your performance reference image. Please do not send in photos of yourself! This should be a photo of your chosen artist to display on the screen during your performance.
Picture has to be is good quality and size no less than FULL HD 1920x1080 for the screen. If pictures won't succeed with our rules and expectations we will replace them with different ones. In case your sent image doesn't have the sufficient resolution we reserve the right to replace it.
- Video of your performance. Please note, that this is a very important step, as it plays a huge role in helping us decide who gets to go on stage. You do not have to be in your stage costume for this video. If you have any special props, please include them in the video as well. The quality of the video is not important (it’s fine to film it on your phone), but the content is. The video has to be of your full performance and videos of incomplete dances are not eligible for the application.
Please remember, when submitting links through Google Drive, adjust your sharing settings, to “anyone with the link can view”, so we can access your files.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! Our email address firstname.lastname@example.org and you are welcome to use it for any clarifications or file changes. If we do not receive everything by Sunday 17.12.2023 23:59, your application will be rejected.
Remember, due to a large number of applicants the time slots will be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis! If you urgently need a specific place in the program due to costume change/special effects/health/travel reasons, please tell us as soon as possible, so we can secure the place for you.
The coordinators will not allow a participant to take part in the competition, if:
- They break the event rules;
- They break the laws of The Republic of Latvia;
- They are under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Any alcohol or narcotic substances are found in their possession;
- They behave in a disrespectful and/or provocative manner towards other participants or administration;
- They deliberately damage other participants’ costumes or props;
- They damage furniture, equipment or decorations of the venue;
- Their performance is unfinished;
- Their performance contains excessive aggression, calls to violence, pornography or profanity.
Remember, due to a large number of applicants the rehearsal time slots will be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis! If you need a specific place due to costume change/special effects/health/travel reasons, please tell us as soon as possible, so we can secure the place for you. Participants can rehearse ONLY ONCE to make sure that everyone will have time to rehearse because of limited time for the rehearsals.
Props and Helpers
Usage of on-stage confetti, party poppers and glitter cannons is UNAVAILABLE.
K-pop Music Videos have a lot of interesting props and concepts, and you are encouraged to use it to your advantage. All props and special requests must be communicated to the K-pop Coordinator as soon as possible.
If you need to bring a helper, you may take 1 person per dance group (3 or more performers). Please provide us with the helper’s name and surname to make sure they can join you in the dressing room/backstage (Before the convention) via email. All helpers will be registered and under no circumstances any unauthorized persons will be allowed into the changing rooms unless specifically stated by a member of staff. If the helper is found to disturb the rehearsal process or cause inconveniences in the dressing room, they will be asked to leave the backstage area. Solo or duo performances are CANNOT register helpers. Helpers have to purchase full price event tickets.
Please note that microphones WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE for use during your performances.
The awards for K-pop Contest will be held at the WinterCon VIII Awards ceremony.
Best Solo - 3 places
Best Duo - 3 places
Best Group dance - 3 places
Best Stage Show - 1 place
Best Original Choreography - 1 place
Judges' Favorites - 3 places
Last but not least
If you are a new dancer or have any issues with the application process, please don’t be shy to ask questions! Or coordinator will be happy to help you at email@example.com
A participant may also be banned from further cosplay and k-pop competitions at UniCon and WinterCon events for a duration, at the administration’s discretion.
The administration reserves the right to exclude a participant from the cosplay and k-pop competition without prior notice or explanation.