UniCon 2021 Cosplay Competition.
Hello, dear cosplayers! It is time to announce the Cosplay competition for UniCon 2021!
The deadline for the applications is Sunday 08.08.2021 23:59
This time it is allowed to apply with old costumes (previously appeared at any of UniCon Group organized events) and application limits are soften.
Under Cabinet of Ministers decree 360 only holders of valid "full vaccination" or "previously ill with COVID-19" digital certificates can participate in the contest. This rule may change.
Please remember, when submitting links through Google Drive, adjust your sharing settings to “anyone with the link can view”, so we can access your files. Please check your email regularly - we may need to contact you!
To apply for UniCon 2021 Cosplay competition, follow these steps:
1) Fill in the application form here;
2) In the online form, attach links to a folder with your character reference images;
3) In the online form, attach a link to your mp3 background music file;
4) In the online form, attach a link to a video preview of your performance for us to review;
5) Upon submitting the application, you will get an automatic confirmation. Within a week of that you will also get a confirmation letter from our coordinators. If either is not received, please contact us by email or through our Facebook page ASAP.
6) Have fun!
Regarding non-contest entries: we will approach these requests individually, please contact us with your ideas.
To successfully apply for the cosplay contest you must do the following:
- COMPLETELY fill in the online form here.
Please remember, when submitting links through Google Drive, adjust your sharing settings, to “anyone with the link can view”, so we can access your files. We also recommend submitting a link to a folder where you can put all your files together.
- Here are the available categories:
Solo - Maximum performance length – 1 minute.
Duo (2 people) - Maximum performance length – 1 minute 30 seconds. Any duo where participants come from two different countries automatically qualifies for a Joint International Performance nomination!
Group (3-8 people) - Maximum performance length – 2 minutes 30 seconds.
Cosplay Dance (2-8 people) – Maximum performance length – 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Add a link to your music file – OBLIGATORY in the .mp3 format. (No wav, m4a, wma, ogg or other stuff!). You can use this (or any other similar software) simple online .mp3 converter if you don’t know how to convert your music: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3
- Add a link to a folder with your character reference images. These images will represent you and your performance for the viewers and judges, imagine how they will look on the big screen, in front of a large audience. It is a great idea to select separate images for the judges and for the screen - for example, a full-body shot with clear details is a good image to pick for judges’ reference (example), and an action pose/instantly recognizable trademark of the character, picture that tells a story - is a wonderful pick for the screen (example).
- Add a link to a preview video of your performance (you do not have to be in cosplay for this video, we just need to know what you are going to do on stage. If you have any special props, please include them in the video as well). Please note, that this is a very important step, as it plays a huge role in helping us decide who gets to go on stage. The quality of the video is not important (it’s fine to film it on your phone), but the content is.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! Our email address cosplay(at)unicon.lv is still active, and you are welcome to use it for any clarifications or file changes. If we do not receive everything by Sunday 08.08.2021 23:59, the application will be rejected.
We accept costumes of characters from movies, TV shows, games, anime, cartoons, visual novels, historical figures and celebrities, etc – any officially published or broadcast source.
We also accept original characters and your original designs of already existing characters (i.e. your fan art), BUT: a good description and adequate screen image are necessary. Remember - this image will represent your character to the whole audience, so it cannot be just a brief pencil drawing! Be prepared to tell the judges the backstory of your OC, when prompted. The better you describe and present your character, the easier it will be for the judges to evaluate your hard work.
Remember, due to a large number of applicants the time slots will be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis! If you absolutely must have a specific place due to costume change/special effects/health/travel reasons, please tell us as soon as possible, so we can secure the place for you.
Terms & Conditions
By submitting your application, you agree to follow the full version of these rules. By sending an application you also agree to us processing your personal data with compliance to GDPR regulation, for the purpose of managing the competition and compiling statistics. Your personal data will never be misused or given to any third parties. Your submission may be revoked without prior notice or explanation at the discretion of the administration.
Remember that all props must be safe. All prop weapons have to be made of safe materials (plastic, lightweight wood, foam, etc). If you have a metal blade, make sure it is blunt. All your weapons will be checked by security at the event entrance, and any sharp blades, swords, knives, axes and other piercing and slashing items will be confiscated until the end of the event.
We do not allow any type of pyrotechnics to be used on stage. Not abiding by this rule will lead to an immediate ban from the competition.
Please follow the current COVID-19 regulations and of course if you have cold symptoms, you are required to self-isolate, to observe home quarantine or isolation, be responsible ‒ stay home!
Props and Helpers
On stage confetti, party poppers and glitter cannons are welcome. Use of liquids on stage will be discussed individually. If you are planning to throw candy or toys into the audience, please inform us in advance.
If you need to bring a helper, you may take 1 person per cosplay group. Please provide us with the helper’s name and surname to make sure they can join you in the dressing room/backstage. All helpers will be registered and under no circumstances any unauthorized persons will be allowed into the cosplayer changing rooms unless specifically stated by a member of staff. If the helper is found to disturb the rehearsal process or cause inconveniences in the dressing room, they will be asked to leave the backstage area.
Please not that microphones WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE for use during your performances.
The following nominations will be awarded at UniCon 2020:
Best Joint International Performance - 1 place. Show us the power of friendship and collaboration that transcends borders!
Best solo – 3 places.
Best duo – 3 places.
Best group performance – 3 places.
Best cosplay dance – 3 places.
Best armor quality – 1 place. A special prize for our pro crafters who specialize in armor and prop making.
Best sewing quality - 1 place. A special prize for our pro crafters who specialize in sewing and embroidery.
Best original character – 1 place. Our judges will evaluate the complexity and quality of the costume, as well as the idea and spectacularity of your performance.
There will also be a few surprise categories announced on the spot, so stay tuned!
IMPORTANT! One participant (or a cosband) is not eligible for more than 1 prize. The next best participant or cosband shall be selected instead.
Last but not least
Please provide us your ACTIVE email address in the application form and make sure there are no typos in it. We might need to ask you some questions or request a change of files, so you must check your email regularly to make sure everything stays in order! Remember that communication is the key to success :)
If you are a new cosplayer or have any issues with the application process, please don’t be shy to ask questions! Or coordinators will be happy to help you at cosplay(at)unicon.lv
We cannot wait to see what wonderful costumes you guys come up with this time! Good luck!
Please also read the following information.
The coordinators will not allow a participant to take part in the competition, if:
- They break the event rules;
- They break the laws of The Republic of Latvia;
- They are under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Any alcohol or narcotic substances are found in their possession;
- They behave in a disrespectful and/or provocative manner towards other participants or administration;
- They deliberately damage other participants’ costumes or props;
- They damage furniture, equipment or decorations of the venue;
- Their costume is unfinished;
- Their performance contains excessive aggression, calls to violence, pornography or profanity.
A participant may also be banned from further cosplay competitions at UniCon and WinterCon events for a duration, at the administration’s discretion.
The administration reserves the right to exclude a participant from the cosplay competition without prior notice or explanation.