Dear cosplayers! It is time to announce the Cosplay competition for UniCon 2019! This time we will accept no more than 100 applications. The deadline for applications is Sunday 21.07.2019 23:59
Priority will be given to those who have already made their costume (feel free to attach photos as proof).
What’s new in the rules:
- Fill in the online form instead of sending it by email;
- Attach links to your files at the end;
- Our email address is still active, so feel free to ask questions and make changes!
RULES: SHORT VERSION
To apply for UniCon 2019 Cosplay competition, follow these steps:
1) Fill in the application form here.
2) In the online form, attach links to your character reference images.
3) In the online form, attach a link to your mp3 background music file.
4) In the online form, attach a link to a video preview of your performance for us to review.
5) (optional) Finally, attach photos of your complete costume or progress pictures for greater chances of getting in!
6) Upon submitting the application, you will get an automatic confirmation. Within a week of that you will also get a confirmation letter from our coordinators.
7) Have fun!
NB! By submitting your application, you agree to follow the full version of the rules (can be found here) and the UniCon Cosplay Ethics code (can be found here). By sending an application you also agree to us processing your personal data with compliance to GDPR regulation, for the purpose of managing the competition and compiling statistics. Your personal data won't be misused or given to any third parties without your permission. Your submission may be revoked without prior notice at the discretion of the administration.
RULES: FULL VERSION
At UniCon 2019 you will be able to perform in the following categories:
Solo – a solo defilé, where the focus is on your chosen character’s signature poses and movements, as well as your ability to show off your costume details and get into the role and stay ‘in character’. Maximum performance length – 1 minute.
Duo (2 people) – a pair performance, where the audience will have an opportunity to see your characters interact. Maximum performance length – 1 minute 30 seconds. Any duo where participants come from two different countries automatically qualifies for a Joint International Performance nomination!
Group performance (3-8 people) – everything alongside plays, skits, famous scene re-creations, comedy skits, etc, falls into this category. There cannot be more than 8 people in a group. Maximum performance length – 2 minutes 30 seconds.
Cosplay Dance (2-8 people) – an opportunity to show us your choreography talents together with your love for a fandom. No solo dances. Maximum performance length – 1 minute 30 seconds.
Please make sure that your application conforms to the following rules:
1) To successfully apply for the cosplay contest you must do the following:
- COMPLETELY fill in the online form here.
- Add a link to your music file – OBLIGATORY in the .mp3 format. (No wav, m4a, wma, ogg or other stuff!). You can use this (or any other similar software) simple online .mp3 converter if you don’t know how to convert your music:
- Add a link to your character reference image(s) This image will represent you and your performance for the viewers, imagine how it will look on the big screen, in front of a large audience. It is a great idea to select separate images for the judges and for the screen - for example, a full-body shot with clear details is a good image to pick for judges’ reference (example), and an action pose/instantly recognizable trademark of the character/s picture that tells a story - is a wonderful pick for the screen (example).
- Add a link to a preview video of your performance (you do not have to be in cosplay for this video, we just need to know what you are going to do on stage. If you have any special props, please include them in the video as well). Please note, that this is a very important step, as it plays a huge role in helping us decide who gets to go on stage. The quality of the video is not important (it’s fine to film it on your phone), but the content is.
- Optional. Photos of your completed costume or progress pictures of at least 50% finished work. If you submit these photos, you increase your chances of getting selected to perform on stage. Please remember, that submission of progress photos still does not guarantee you getting picked. We kindly ask you not to send 20 progress photos in 20 different emails.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! Even though the online form is going to be implemented starting from this year, the email address is still active, and you are welcome to use it for any clarifications or file changes. If we do not receive everything by Sunday 21.07.2019 23:59, the application will be rejected.
2) Make sure you state the category of your performance: Solo, Duo, Group, Cosplay Dance. Please remember, that maximum number of participants is 8 for all categories. Also, NO SOLO DANCES are allowed - for any kind of dance you must have at least 2 people.
3) We accept costumes of characters from movies, TV shows, games, anime, cartoons, visual novels, historical figures and celebrities, etc – any officially published or broadcasted source.
4) We also accept original characters and your original designs of already existing characters (i.e. your fan art), BUT: a good description and adequate screen image are necessary. Remember - this image will represent your character to the whole audience, so it cannot be just a brief pencil drawing! Be prepared to tell the judges the backstory of your OC, they will ask questions! The better you describe and present your character, the easier it will be for the judges to evaluate your hard work.
5) Participants will have a chance to try out for EuroCosplay Qualifiers - a fully paid-for trip to represent Latvia in October 2019 at MCM Comic Con London. Applicants must hold a Latvian citizenship or permanent residence over 3 years, be 18+ and not be involved with the organisation of UniCon for at least 18 months prior to the selection. Applicants can qualify in a handmade costume and the participant should be able to present proof (e.g. progress pictures). For more details check out the EuroCosplay official rules:
6) Remember that all props must be safe. All prop weapons have to be made of safe materials (plastic, lightweight wood, foam, etc). If you have a metal blade, make sure it is blunt. All your weapons will be checked by security at the event entrance, and any sharp blades, swords, knives, axes and other piercing and slashing items will be confiscated until the end of the event. People (helpers on stage) will be discussed individually.
7) We do not allow any type of pyrotechnics to be used on stage. Not abiding by this rule will lead to an immediate ban from the competition. (Confetti, party poppers and glitter cannons are okay). Use of liquids on stage will be discussed individually. If you are planning to throw candy or toys into the audience, please inform us in advance.
8) Make sure the length of your music track conforms to the length of your performance! For example, if your performance is 1 minute long, cut your music track accordingly, so it is also 1 minute long. Also, a handy option in the application form – you can tell us in advance, when you want your music to start (before you come up on stage or after you have taken position on stage).
9) Make sure you choose on which day and in which block you would like to perform. There are 2 days, each with 2 cosplay blocks, so you have a choice between afternoon and evening. Remember, due to a large number of applicants the time slots will be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis! If you absolutely must have a specific place due to costume change/special effects/health/travel reasons, please tell us as soon as possible, so we can secure the place for you.
10) This year you cannot perform more than once per day at UniCon 2019. One costume is allowed to appear on stage only once over the whole event, so a participant can bring two costumes in total, if they wish. You can apply for several numbers with different costumes, but remember - we will only pick one per day. The number of slots is limited, so we have to enforce this rule to give more people a chance.
11) If you need to bring a helper, you may take 1 person per cosplay group. Please provide us with the helper’s name and surname to make sure they can join you in the dressing room. All helpers will be registered and under no circumstances any unauthorized persons will be allowed into the cosplayer changing rooms unless specifically stated by a member of staff. If the helper is found to disturb the rehearsal process or cause inconveniences in the dressing room, they will be asked to leave the backstage area.
12) Please provide us your ACTIVE email address in the application form. We might need to ask you some questions or request a change of files, so you must check your email regularly to make sure everything stays in order! Remember that communication is the key to success :)
13) If you are a new cosplayer or have any issues with the application process, please don’t be shy to ask questions! Or coordinators will be happy to help you at
Regarding the availability of background video and smoke machine: we do not have this information as of yet, but we will make sure to keep you updated on it. Keep up with the news on our Facebook page. Also, microphones WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE for use during your performances, so please, plan accordingly.
Regarding non-contest entries: we will approach these requests individually, please contact us with your ideas.
We cannot wait to see what wonderful costumes you guys come up with this time! Good luck!
The awards will be set as follows:
EuroCosplay Qualifier - one place + one runner-up. The winner in this category will represent Latvia in the prestigious EuroCosplay competition held at MCM Comic Con in London in October 2019! All travel expenses and entry passes will be covered by the organizers.
Best Joint International Performance - 1 place. Show us the power of friendship and collaboration that transcends borders!
Best solo – 3 places.
Best duo – 3 places.
Best group performance – 3 places.
Best cosplay dance – 3 places.
Best armor quality – 1 place. A special prize for our pro crafters who specialize in armor and prop making.
Best sewing quality - 1 place. A special prize for our pro crafters who specialize in sewing and embroidery.
Best original character – 1 place. Our judges will evaluate complexity and quality of the costume, as well as the idea and spectacularity of your performance.
There will also be a few surprise categories announced on the spot, so stay tuned!
IMPORTANT! One participant (or a cosband) is not eligible for more than 1 prize. The next best participant or a cosband shall be selected instead.
Please also read the following information.
The coordinators will not allow a participant to take part in the competition, if:
- They break the event rules;
- They break the laws of The Republic of Latvia;
- They are under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Any alcohol or narcotic substances are found in their possession;
- They behave in a disrespectful and/or provocative manner towards other participants or administration;
- They deliberately damage other participants’ costumes or props;
- They damage furniture, equipment or decorations of the event;
- Their costume is unfinished;
- Their performance contains excessive aggression, calls to violence, pornography or profanity.
A participant may also be banned from further cosplay competitions at UniCon and WinterCon events for a duration, at the administration’s discretion.
Also, the administration has the right to exclude a participant from the cosplay competition without prior notice or explanation.